22 Feb Hiring: Assistant Pastor
***This position has been filled.
Gospel City Church (GCC) is a four-year-old English-speaking church plant in the heart of Itaewon, the most diverse neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. We currently have an active congregation of around 180 adults and 30 children, and we are growing. During the past four years, we have seen people come to Christ, de-churched people come back to church, and apathetic Christians grow. Many Koreans and expats alike have found renewed joy in their faith.
Christianity in Korea is in rapid decline. Most church leaders here are in agreement that Korea is in a spiritual crisis. While about 29% of the Korean population are Christian overall, for college students and younger only 3% are attending church. This means that within a generation, Christianity may be virtually non-existent in Korea.
However, we have seen many Koreans come to our church, drawn by our Christ-centered preaching and gospel-shaped culture. We also have an internship program that focuses on raising the next generation of pastors, missionaries, and kingdom workers. In the following years, our vision is to reach Koreans by planting healthy Korean-speaking churches.
We are looking for an assistant pastor to join us in creating a movement of planting churches in Korea. The assistant pastor will support the lead pastor in championing the vision and mission of GCC. The ideal candidate is passionate about gospel-centered ministry and has a heart for the nation of Korea.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Gospel-centered, missional spirituality: The assistant pastor is expected to know and love our Lord Jesus Christ above all. He must have a deep faith in the power of the gospel to transform lives. He must pursue a life of worship and discipleship as well as exhibit missional living.
- Calling to Pastoral Ministry: The assistant pastor must have a firm sense of God’s call to be a pastor and have a lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders. (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter 5:1-5)
- Leadership and Pastoral Care: The primary role of the assistant pastor will be to partner with the lead pastor in shepherding GCC. He will be expected to attend all church staff meetings and retreats. He will also be preaching, teaching classes, and caring for members.
- Small Groups and Discipleship: Community, discipleship and outreach are all deeply interconnected. The assistant pastor will oversee the transition for our community groups to be more intentional about discipleship and missional living.
- Systems, Pipelines, and Training: The assistant pastor will be expected to create and implement systems for community and discipleship. He would also build leadership training pipelines for future elders, deacons, ministry leaders, and community group leaders.
- Team Player: The assistant pastor will be working closely with the lead pastor, advisory group, interns, and members of the church. He must be a reliable team player who displays flexibility and humility.
- Is committed to gospel-centered theology, leadership, personal development, and church planting
- Is teachable, passionate, and self-motivated
- Has the proven ability to shepherd others, and build systems and teams
- Is skilled in communication
- Is competent in administration
- Is fluent in English (fluency in Korean would also be preferred)
Education & Experience
- Education: M. Div or equivalent degree from an accredited seminary
- Experience: Three or more years of full-time vocational ministry in a local church
How to Apply
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume & three recommendation letters
- Links to 2 recorded sermons (audio and/or video are both acceptable)
- For more questions, email email@example.com
PDF: Assistant Pastor