30 Mar Nomination of Elders & Deacons (until Apr 7)
Gospel City has been faithfully taking steps to grow and set the foundation for a healthy biblical church for the past three years. The office of an elder and deacon is a high call, and we did not want to rush into appointing unqualified people into these positions. However, we believe that we now have the right people who show the maturity to be trained for these offices.
The Role of an Elder:
Elders function primarily as servant-leaders of the church. They are discerners and spiritual guardians of the church. They function as shepherds for the entire church. Elders pray for the sick, provide examples to the congregation of godly leadership, and oversee church discipline.
The Role of a Deacon:
Deacons are the servant-ministers of the church. The office is one of sympathy and service. Their purpose is to help serve our church family and to support the Elders of the multitude of practical duties of caring for the flock.
The Qualifications of Elders & Deacons:
- Elders: 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9
- Deacons: 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:1-7
- Each nominee should show character and maturity fitting for these offices.
- Each nominee must have been a member at Gospel City for at least 1 year.
Nominations will close on April 7, 2019. Gospel City hopes to install 3 ruling elders and 5-10 deacons by January 2019. For questions, please contact Pastor Joel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Process of Appointing Elders and Deacons
- March: Nominations
- April – November: Community Based Officer Training
- December: Examination & Election
- January: Commissioning, Ordination & Installation
Officer Training Topics
- What is a healthy church?
- What is gospel-centered theology?
- What are the qualifications, roles, and responsibilities of an elder and deacon?
Officer Training Materials
- Westminster Confession of Faith
- Center Church